Today is Tuesday, November 10, 2015 and I am at Day 0, the night before my procedure.
I just wanted to share with you all what the physical preparation is for a transplant procedure.
A few months before my procedure I am given a list of pre-operative instructions to follow so that my procedure will go well.
The major things I must do is three weeks beforehand stop taking any protein or dietary supplements that contain vitamin E that would cause a lot of bleeding and then two weeks before my procedure hold off on getting my hair cut, and 2 days beforehand stop drinking any alcohol.
If it’s your first procedure the sutures will stay in for 10 days and if you’ve had two or more procedures they will stay in for 12 days and will be removed by my primary care physician. The most important part to getting a great suture line is to refrain from any heavy lifting or intense exercise for at least a month after my procedure.
The reason why the right middle side of my scar did not properly heal is because even though I waited about three weeks after my first procedure to resume working out, ideally you want to wait about a month after your procedure before you resume any heavy lifting. Exercises like the squat, bench press, deadlift, standing overhead press, and olympic lifts all tense the neck and after the sutures are out the scar is still healing so it could stretch from those exercises.
In all, I’m super excited to go down this path again and depending on how I am feeling after the procedure I will see if I can post another video with pictures.
All my best,
3 WEEKS BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
- ⇒ STOP using Minoxidil or Rogaine (to minimize bleeding).
- ⇒ Eliminate Vitamin E supplements.
- ⇒ Eliminate Multivitamins.
- ⇒ Eliminate any supplements containing Ginkgo Biloba and Ginseng.
- ⇒ Eliminate protein shakes and protein bars (most contain Vit. E).
2 WEEKS BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
- ⇒ We need to be aware of all the medication you are currently taking.
- ⇒ Please hold on to your present haircut and keep your hair in the back as long as possible.
10 DAYS BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
- ⇒ DO NOT take Aspirin (ASA) or drugs containing Aspirin: Tylenol may be used instead.
24-48 HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR PROCEDURE
- ⇒ Please provide our office with your pharmacy phone number (to call in your medication).
- ⇒ For your convenience pick up your pain medication BEFORE your procedure.
- ⇒ DO NOT drink protein shakes, energy drinks or any alcohol (wine, beer, etc.).
- ⇒ Avoid strenuous, intensive physical activity (ex. working out).
THE NIGHT BEFORE YOUR PROCEDURE
- ⇒ Wash your hair well with HIBICLEANCE (or regular shampoo if not given Hibicleance).
THE DAY OF YOUR PROCEDURE
- ⇒ The morning of your procedure wash your hair well with HIBICLEANCE (or regular shampoo if not given Hibicleance).
- ⇒ Do not apply any hair products such as mousse, hairspray, gel, etc.
- ⇒ Have a regular breakfast or lunch (filling meal is necessary to minimize any chance of stomach queasiness or dizziness).
- ⇒ Avoid wearing clothing that needs to be pulled over your head. Please wear a shirt with buttons or zipper. NO T-SHIRTS! For your comfort we recommend to wear loose, easy-to-put-on shoes.
- ⇒ As a mild relaxer/sedative will be administered before surgery, you should not drive car afterwards.